Friday, October 26, 2018

Week 3 Ownership

The ePortfolio is mine, I created it, and it is my thoughts about what I am learning.  
People can view it, but it is all mine.

The COVA learning approach will impact my learning by allowing me to learn
my way.  It applies to real-world learning. I am not used to having so much control
over my own learning.  I am used to the traditional learning and being told how and
in what form to do things. I like structure and choices, so having more control and
doing things with freedom will require me getting used to it.


I like this information, “It is this ownership of ideas that leads to deeper learning. In
order to make meaningful connections one has to take ownership of those ideas and
concepts in order to construct meaning. Eportfolio proponents all point to the power
of reflection but unless the student is reflecting on ideas that they own rather than
reflecting on artifacts and data the power of this reflection is lost. Making meaningful
connections is what leads to learning.” which came


At first it did not appeal to me, because I am used to a certain way of doing
things.  I will get used to it and enjoy having the freedom to do differently. Having
too many choices is also and issue at times. For instance, when a group of us
want to go out to eat together, no one wants to make a decision because we all
want to hear each others “voice” or opinion.  So finally we have to narrow down
our choices and basically take a vote.

I remember being in high school we had basic information that we had to
remember and then repeat on test day.  We studied the same way each time,
teachers did things the same way, it was like a routine.

I really didn’t view the lack of freedom, “C” for choice as not being creative.  
I viewed it as the teacher wanted things a certain way and you do as you were
told.  It was respect and you followed instructions. The freedom to choose “C” is
both beneficial and a challenge.  I like being able to turn in the assignments however
we want, but it is also a challenge, because I have a hard time getting started.  I
work full-time and feel like this is a lot of work to do in one short week. We are
told that we are supposed to stay until the job is done, so teaching full-time,
requires lots of extra hours past the regular school day of 3:30pm.

Taking “O” ownership of your work is important.  I didn’t like doing group work in
school because somehow I was always paired with someone that was either lazy
or didn’t care.  I usually had to do all the work. This is why I would “hold back” and
didn’t want anyone to know that I was smart. I remember one time that I was paired
with a great partner.  I had a boy for a science partner. He didn’t like to write and I
didn’t want to touch things. We made sure to pick each other when in that class. He
dissected the frog and I wrote the report.  He would tell me what to write and I made
sure it was written correctly, and turned in on time. That was a great match.

In the above example, we both had a “V” voice.  It was great. It was difficult when
you would work with certain people and they didn’t care or want to participate.

I remember a specific example where I did get out of the safe zone.  I entered a
history fair in seventh grade. My teacher, Mr. Rhodes, was wonderful and he had
great ideas.  He shared ideas with those of us that wanted to do a project for the
school history fair and we worked hard on it.  I placed in the fair and was able to
go on an overnight trip to San Antonio with the other winners. That was worth all my
hard work and effort.

One video that I found that I liked was the Rita Pierson video on YouTube.  It was
thought-provoking and I have watched it a couple of times. Every Child Needs a
Champion by Rita Pierson, retrieved from


Resources:
Harpanuik,D. (2018). [ blog] "It's About Learning,  Who Owns the Eportfolio?"
retrieved from http://www.harapnuik.org/?page_id=6050

No comments:

Post a Comment

Summary with Book Creator

I decided to add one more thing to my website and to this blog.  I used Book Creator to make a summary of my DLL journey. Click below t...