Sunday, October 21, 2018

Week 2 Discussion

I can see the benefit of using ePortfolio for students after reading all the information this
week.  At first I was unsure about all of this work we were doing and didn’t understand
the point. I am now enjoying inputting information on there.  I like to look at it and make
changes every few days, sometimes they are small and might not even be noticed.


When we first started these I was unsure of what to even add.  I like looking at the
examples and seeing how other people are creative in their development which helps
inspire me to create mine.  Of course, I worry about doing the right thing and doing what
is required. That has now become a second priority, because I realize that making it
my own is what is important.


One thing I decided to add to my ePortfolio is meaningful ideas and lessons we are
doing in prek this year.  I have a ClearTouch panel in my classroom because I was part
of the pilot program my district did last year. I am slowing teaching these four year olds
how to use it as a tool.  I have slowly taught them one thing at a time and they are
catching on very quickly. It seems to be second nature to them. They are having fun
with it and don’t even realize they are actually learning things by using it.  We are
incorporating it into our “Morning Meeting” which is where we do our whole group
lessons when they first arrive. It has been a big hit with them. They are already
learning “10 frames”. They are also learning to take turns and patience, which is something
that four years old seem to have trouble understanding.


I want to be able to look back and see how much progress they make with all the little
things they are learning.  It is amazing how quickly they can progress even though each
class is only there a half a day.


My assistant and I decided to make them little journals instead of a portfolio.  It is a way
to track their progress this year with their writing. We are going to do a monthly activity
to help show their progress so their parents can look back on their beginning pages to
see how much they have learned. We decided to do them on paper because being in a
Title 1 school we don’t have the funds to do everything with technology.  These students
are four and they have very little knowledge of the technology skills it would require to do
it digitally.




I can see how the ePortfolio can benefit students as they get older and grown their knowledge.  
It is a time consuming project and would have to be built over time like ours are growing
over time.  If schools have the technology available they could start small and let the students
grow their portfolios over their school years.  I think that it would be a great thing to start one
when a child enters school for the first time and have them add something for each grade
level.  It would be a wonderful body of work for them to use when applying for college. It
would show they take education seriously and how they have improved, changed, and
grown as a lifetime learner.  It would help them make real-life connections.


I attended the free TCCA conference in Aldine this weekend.  One of the classes I
attended was on building a digital portfolio and how it would help students.  They used
a software called “Bulb”. I was similar to building one in Google Sites. I thought how it
would be nice to see students have a section on their site for each grade level.  This
software seemed to make it easy for students to build, create, and develop as they get older.


By having your information online you can share it with your audience or readers and
they can see what you learned, your opinions, and your voice.  You can look back and
see how much you learned, how well you did something, and what all you have accomplished.
It is great to showcase what you have done and learned.  You can change it anytime,
add to it, be creative and express your thoughts. You are always growing and improving
on your own learning.


Also having a Blog is also very helpful.  It like my mom writing in her daily diary.  I
remember how she used to write everything we did down.  She also wrote her thoughts
and feelings about the situation down.  She sometimes would get them past ones out
and tell us what we did in the years past on certain occasions.  Sometimes we would
laugh and the funny things and memories of our silly family. She had a way with words
and could tell the story in a funny way.  



Barnstable, K. (2018, January 08). Stable Transitions [Web log post]. 41 Benefits of an
ePortfolio. Retrieved from https://luonline.blackboard.com/bbcswebdav/internal/portfolio
Barrett, H. and Richter, J. Reflection4Learning [Web log post]. Why Reflect? Retrieved
from https://sites.google.com/site/reflection4learning/why-reflect  


Harapnuik, D. It's About Learning. [Web log post]. Why Use an Eportfolio? Retrieved
from http://www.harapnuik.org/?page_id=7012http://www.harapnuik.org/?page_id=6063
Harapnuik, D., Thibodeaux , T., Cummings, C. (January 2018). COVA: Choice, Ownership, and
Voice through Authentic Learning. Retrieved from www.harapnuik.org/?page_id=7291.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Summary with Book Creator

I decided to add one more thing to my website and to this blog.  I used Book Creator to make a summary of my DLL journey. Click below t...