Sunday, August 18, 2019

5318 - Online Learning - Week 5

In my online course, I can communicate with the students by posting things on the discussion
boards.  I can also send them personal responses. 


The course I developed is self-pacing and they can do the assignments in any order they want. 
Each unit does have a due date to help them stay on track. Most likely they will do them in
order and hopefully keep practicing the whole month.  The instructions do say to “explore”
in some of them, so I am hoping the parents will let the students take some time to get to
know the app or the site before trying to complete the assignment.  The students are supposed
to do the assignment and the parents are supposed to help and supervise them. The parents
are the ones sending in the proof of the completed assignments.


The course can be updated by editing the assignment and information.  As the state makes
changes and adjustments to the guidelines, I can make those adjustments to my course.  I can
also add assignments to each of the units if I decide they need to explore and experience more
to help achieve the learning goal.


There are 10 domains to the Pre-K Guidelines and those can be developed into online courses. 
I chose two of them that would be the next great step for online learning. Physical Development
Domain which has four parts and for the second one I chose the Fine Arts Domain which has 6
parts.  Each of these areas would be something the student could do and the parents could video
or photograph so they would have proof of the student completing the task.


My campus/district really isn’t moving toward online learning in elementary school.  I can’t
speak for the other grade levels, because I only know what we do at my campus.  


As for the reading this week, I liked the 12.5 Team teaching part because class size is an issue
(Bates, 2015).  I can relate to this because we can have a maximum of 22 students in my
morning class and 22 in my afternoon class.  Even though I have an assistant, personally I
think that is too many four year olds in one classroom. These students haven’t ever been to
school before and then all of the sudden they are overwhelmed with all these “new friends”.  In
the readings it talked about how the class was broken down and everyone had assignments.
That is, in a way, what we do in our class. My assistant does certain things and I do certain
things. We help each other and the day runs smoother.  Sometimes we divide the class in half
and do a “small” group activity, even though it is not that small.  


Reference:
Bates, A.W. (2015) Teaching in a Digital Age: Guidelines for designing teaching and learning
(Chapters 11-12). Retrieved from

https://opentextbc.ca/teachinginadigitalage/

No comments:

Post a Comment

Summary with Book Creator

I decided to add one more thing to my website and to this blog.  I used Book Creator to make a summary of my DLL journey. Click below t...