Sunday, August 11, 2019

5318 - Online Learning - Week 4

My course in Schoology is for the parents of my Pre-K students, or it could be used by
parents that weren’t approved for Pre-K.  Not all students are approved to enter the
Pre-K program in my district. There are very strict guidelines and requirements.


I did add a discussion board for the parents. This way they can collaborate on things
if they have questions.  They might be able to answer each others questions out of each
of the units. I also added an introduction video and included our class mascot, Gizmo.  I
also included an “attention-getting” photo for each of the sections.


Any resources that are needed will be listed in each of the units.  If a website is needed
for the assignment or a list of example websites for a task, I will include the links so the
arents will not have to Google it.  Also, having the examples might help them realize they
know another app that does the same task. Parents are allowed to use the app of their
choice, or they can use one that I provide, as long as it still gets the task completed. 


Depending on the assignment in a particular unit will determine the requirements for
each of the assignments.  The first unit involves the students exploring, so a picture or
video of them exploring will be sufficient. On another assignment the student has to
perform a certain task and will need to use certain tools.  The parent would need to
screenshot their creation and turn that in as the completed task.


I related to the comment, “the way people learn are as unique as their fingerprints”
in the UBD video.  I thought about this in a Professional Development class that
teachers recently attended. It seems like learning agrees with this, but when we do
the “testing” it is not unique.  We have to give all the students the same test. In Pre-K
we have all these centers and now the requirement is that each center be color coded
with a differentiated lesson, but we give all the students the same CLI (Children’s
Learning Institute) test.  It does base the color coded score results according to their
age and peers in “months.” Now when I typed “months”, I cringe. These little students
are about 48 months old. They are only four years old. 


Personally, I think it is too young to give Pre-K a test of any kind.  I understand that
the administration needs a base measurement of students “growth,” but I  believe and
support the idea that we should just allow them to learn in Pre-K and worry about
measuring them later.  The students are only at school for about 3 hours, and they are
4 years old. I can not imagine how the students in Pre-K next year will feel when they
have to stay at school all day long.  I worry more about their mental health rather than
their education at this age. I have to say that I see why students get burned out before
they get to 12th grade.


REFERENCES
Cast. (2010, January, 10). UDL at a glance [Video file]. Retrieved
from https://amara.org/en/videos/8Aygby4OcIcF/info/udl-at-a-glance/

(Google Sites does not allow hanging indent for formatting.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Summary with Book Creator

I decided to add one more thing to my website and to this blog.  I used Book Creator to make a summary of my DLL journey. Click below t...