Friday, February 15, 2019

Discussion 4

Participate in a class discussion in which you begin by addressing the following issues/
questions:
Why is the Whirlwind (or the Day Job) such a significant factor in limiting strategy execution?
How does 4DX recommend you compensate for the whirlwind?

How many goals should a team focus on and why?


What is the difference between lead and lag measures and why do we wrongly pay more

attention to lag measures?

What are the 4 rules of creating a compelling scoreboard and why are they significant?


What is the most important factor for moral? Why?


How does Key Questions of the WIG meeting help drive the process of execution or drive the lead measures into the whirlwind?


Please remember the list of questions are for your benefit and are intended to help you 

focus your thinking. We are not asking nor expect you to answer each question in your
discussion--rather you should use these questions to help focus on how the insights gained
through this discussion will help you to add another component to your innovation plan.


This innovation plan is counting as part of our technology time.  We have a technology center in
the class, so the students who are doing the pilot program use this time to do their “project”.  
The others in the class are starting to catch on and they want a “project” too. It is cute how the
others are becoming curious about what is happening.

As for the scoreboard, right now I was thinking about making a Google Spreadsheet with names
and leave a space for the item.  Then we could fill that in as we go. The students would get a
sticker in the box when they completed their tasks. The students in the pilot program are
competitive and I know it would help them stay on track.  It is cute to watch them interact and
see what each other are doing. They want to watch each other, check each other, and see if
they did it right.

I feel like my life is a whirlwind most of the day.  I have to make a list of what needs to be done
and I am always adding more to it than I am taking off  of it. I feel like I am being pulled in many
different directions with all that is happening in the world around me.  I take on too many things
and try to do too many projects at one time. This year I have decided to say no to people, which
is difficult.  They seem to only understand what they want and need, and don’t realize that
people have lives and you never know what is going on in people’s lives and how it affects
their day to day thoughts, feelings, and other aspects of their life.  

My personal WIG is this class and finishing my goal - the degree.  It is interesting that is says that
we need a scoreboard because I made myself one for this class and I have been updating it each
time we finish a class.  I am focused on what needs to be done to complete this goal. I made the
promise to my dad before he passed and I am determined to keep my promise.

I try to focus on one day at a time because I get overwhelmed with these little four year
olds.  It is crazy how different it is from teaching kindergarten. I like to do my lesson
plans a little in advance and sometimes this works.  Sometimes we plan units
(which are 3 weeks usually).


REFERENCES:

FranklinCovey. (2012, April 19). Executive overview of the 4 disciplines of execution [Video file]. Retrieved from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZR2Ixm0QQE

Grenny, J., Patterson, K., Maxfield, D., McMillan, R., & Switzler, A. (2013). Influencer: The new science of leading change. New York, NY: McGraw-Hill.

McChesney, C., Covey, S., & Huling, J. (2016). The 4 disciplines of execution: Achieving your wildly important goals. New York: Free Press.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Summary with Book Creator

I decided to add one more thing to my website and to this blog.  I used Book Creator to make a summary of my DLL journey. Click below t...