Monday, December 3, 2018

Discussion 4 - Want to Innovate?

            I think that I am flexible.  I am always changing things when things don’t work out.  I am willing to adapt and do things differently than I have done in the past.  I am always going to professional development and wanting to learn and implement the latest and greatest ideas.  I am always looking for new ideas and make changes accordingly.

I am not sure that all departments of my school district are willing to be so flexible. Some of the administrations don't understand or want to understand the need for change in the right directions.  Some of them want to change things, just to say they changed things. They aren’t willing to make the necessary adjustments that really work. They aren’t finding out from the sources (teachers in the classroom) what really needs to be done.  Some people, once they leave the classroom, aren’t really in touch with what is happening in the real world (in the classrooms) and aren’t in touch with what students really need these days. It is very frustrating to the teachers, the ones that are doing all the work, that people aren’t really interested in what we have to say about what is happening, they just sit in the offices making decisions without regards to our thoughts, feelings, and opinions.
I am very committed to the kids and letting them use technology.  Now that I am teaching pre-k (wasn’t my choice), I have to be a little more cautious when rolling out the technology.  Most of them “play” on their parents phones, yet they aren’t really using technology as a learning tool. We have slowly implemented technology in our classroom this year.  We are doing things slowly and I am making extra sure they are using it correctly. (We have to very careful when rolling out technology because these four year old are ruthless.  Sorry, but it’s true. Most of them don’t know how to play properly, and seem to not know or what to know how to use materials properly. Recently one student was in the dramatic play center and was banging one of the baby dolls on the “stove” like a hammer.  Needless to say we had to have a conversation about the proper way to play.)
I think that my colleagues want to use technology, but they really don’t understand it themselves.  They want to do things for the kids, but they can’t take the time to learn it first. The pressure that we all are under, doesn’t allow us to take time to slow down and learn things ourselves.  Even though most of the teachers will go to training, they learn something new at the moment, but aren’t given the time to implement the things they learn into their class. Administration is breathing down our necks and don’t realize that if they slacked off a bit, teachers would be less stressed and could do a better job and the students would benefit more.
I really try to provide a great learning environment for the students that offer choice, ownership, voice, through authentic projects.  Due to the requirements and the structure that the pre-k department provides us, sometimes it is a difficult task. There are certain ways they want things done, a certain requirement, a distinct way they want us to reach a goal.  When we are given set limits on what we can do and how to do them, it is difficult to provide freedom to the students. Again, I think sometimes administration is more interested in asserting their authority over classroom teachers, rather than allowing them the flexibility to do things that are best for the students.  If the teachers were given more freedom to accomplish the goals and the state requirements the way they see is best for their class, I believe that students would learn more. I like that Dr. Jean tells teachers, “Close your door!” Sometimes you just have to do that and do what’s best for the students.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Summary with Book Creator

I decided to add one more thing to my website and to this blog.  I used Book Creator to make a summary of my DLL journey. Click below t...