Thursday, December 13, 2018

Discussion 5 - Change

The video was very powerful.  It is amazing how a few words can make a difference.  
Students will remember how you made them feel, not their grades.  They remember
teachers because of their kindness (or how mean they are).  I remember one of my
elementary teachers that were very mean. She even told us she didn’t like kids.  

We, as educators, have to remember the students are humans and they have feelings
and opinions, regardless of their age.  

It makes me that about something that has been posted in some of my teacher groups.  
It is a poem called, “Cause I Ain’t Got a Pencil.” I will attach it, and type it here.


Cause I Ain’t Got a Pencil
By Joshua T. Dickerson
I woke myself up
Because we ain’t got an alarm clock
Dug in the dirty clothes basket,
Cause ain’t nobody washed my uniform
Brush my hair and teeth in the dark,
Cause the lights ain’t on
Even got my baby sister ready,
Cause my mama wasn’t home.
Got us both to school on time,
To eat us a good breakfast.
Then when I got to class the teacher fussed
Cause I ain’t got a pencil.


It seems that the head always want the facts which is why we seem to focus on the
facts most of the time.  The head takes over the heart. If we think with our head, not
our hearts, we are less likely to get hurt or attached to someone by becoming emotionally
involved.  When you are emotionally involved you are more likely to invest in what you
are doing, want to help or make a difference.

Words are very powerful.  My grandma used to say, “Choose your words wisely!”  
I remember her saying that about everything all the time.  

I remember that old saying kids used to say, “Whatever you say, bounces off of me and
sticks on you!”  Basically if someone says something ugly to you, you let it bounce off
of you so they it returns to them and effects them instead.

In my video creation I want to spark something in their viewers heart and slip in some
facts that will make them think.  I want to invoke some emotions first before planting
some facts in their subconscious.

In order to motivate them, I want to tug at their heart strings first.  Maybe a little
Christmas cheer due to the holiday season. It might even help to make them a little
nostalgic and remind them of some good childhood memories.  I have often heard the
saying, “Less is more” which could apply here.

To create a sense of urgency you need to show them how it will affect things in the
long run.  The sooner you start something, the sooner things will change, happen, and
move toward the positive.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Summary with Book Creator

I decided to add one more thing to my website and to this blog.  I used Book Creator to make a summary of my DLL journey. Click below t...